Monday, April 20, 2015

The Idea

On April 20, after a particularly difficult day, I went for a run to clear my head and work through my feelings.  My weekly cadence is: survive Monday and Tuesday, move my projects forward Wednesday to Friday, enjoy Saturday and then have a panic attack on Sunday in anticipation of another impossible week.

The particular week, I was too anxious to go to the office, so I worked from home.  After a whole day glued to the couch helping a team that my company would rather I get rid of than help, I needed to get out.

As I ran, I walked myself through the root cause analysis that I've adopted over the years as a means of getting to the core of the problem - so that I'm solving the actual problem - not the symptoms of the problem.  I came to the conclusion that the core of the problem is:

1. I'm not proud of the way I spend my time.  My latest effort to rectify that by joining a company that aims to "help humanity" is indeed, another cash grab where I am underpaid and pushed to do overtime for no real benefit - monetary, spiritual or otherwise.
2. I'm disillusioned with the corporat world
3. I want to help people, but I don't know how - or if I can afford to take on a profession that is philanthropic in nature
4. I carry a burden (or a chip) from growing up poor and not having access to education and professional networks that kids from professional households have. \
5. I want to leave positive legacy behind.  One my mom would have been proud of.  

I've come up with a few good business ideas, but few caught my imagination, seemed viable, delivered on my spiritual needs or made me feel confident that there was enough demand to assure success.

Then today, I had one of those runs where ideas flowed...

No comments:

Post a Comment